Thursday, May 14, 2009
I got chased by an elephant!
Sorry i have not been keeping up so well with the blog. Last week thier was not a ton going on but i helped this guy build a fish pond (still not finished) i also went to a village with my ast chief and talked to like 60 people about this small survey i had done. I had them brain storm on ideas they could do. It went ok...people kept coming in late so i couldnt get those people involved and am not sure how well they really got it too. The ast chief would translate for me. I am trying to help get rid of a mind set many kenyian have that they cant do anything unless they get aid. I think sometimes people are poor bc they just dont believe in themselves. People in my village get alot of aid. This last weekend was awesome i went on a safari. I saw lots of animals! I think it was the 1st time i saw a hipo through. We also got chased by an elephant! The driver clapped and the elephant started chasing and we quickly sped away no real danger. I got i video of this too! We also went to this tourist hotel where you could get pretty close to the elephant bc you were watching behind bars. I went with i bunch of volinteers from an organization called vso(from all over the world). That night more volinteers in the area joined us including pcvs. Monday i went to the office in voi helping with this survey for stores and hotels about the fish my village will soon sell. It was nice doing really marketing stuff! The villages by me are really getting excited bc some of the fish ponds are ready to be harvested but they just need to be trained how to do so. Coming back to wongonyi i had i nice talk with a man who called himself a douting thomas about the fish project. I tried to encourage him. He told me an interusting story about these forgien guys(maybe from us) who were traveling in kenya. He said they didnt bring much and were really roughing it. So i guess it started to pour rain and they ask the man if they could come in his house. The man ask the men "why are you doing this to yourself , you really like it here you are from i great country why come here" the men replied they came to get away from the business of the us. The old man told me he though it was crazy how he would love to in the us and these guys didnt even care for it. I hope the story didnt loose to much by me not telling it by mouth. One more story and i think i need to go to bed..so there are these girls i think 1st grades. I have been kinda treating me like some like of monster. I had tried to even play with them once and they got scared. The girls would get my attention and i would come and they would ran away. They have been kinda annoing! Today i saw them and they started chanting mazungu which mean white person. It can get annoing always hearing this. A lady saw this going on and she told them not to call me that. She then said call him uncle wamidi (my taita name meaning of the trees) so these girls started to call me that. The mama had them say thier names too. They started asking me what i ate, where i was from and if i had a bed. They also asked how old i was and the one girls said her daddy was older and the other girl replied but how can your dad be older look how big this toes are! It is really nice when people can see me for a person rather than a rich white man or a monster. Well thanks for readin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Haha, I liked the story at the end. Hope all is well buddy take care
Post a Comment