Monday, November 30, 2009

BIG NEWS!!!!!

Ok super excited to FINALLY share this with all of you. So coming Jan or Feb Erica is MOVING to Kenya!!!! She will be staying in the village next door volunteering at the clinic. So now that I have told you let me flash back a little, well a lot a bit... This all started when in South Africa one day. I had this crazy though..."Erica every once and a while is telling me she wants to do something different so.. .why not see if she would want to come here and volunteer with me". I knew it was crazy thinking but it wasn't so crazy because it seemed like something Erica might think about and who doesn't want a nurse in Kenya! So I brought out the idea to Erica and she was super excited. I kept being like," now Erica I don't want to go any farther unless you really think you want to do this ,because I don't want to get people her excited about getting a nurse and it not happen" But Erica was like" John yeah look into it" So I brought up the idea to a few people some people I work with and the Chief of the village. They thought about it the same way I did of course she should be able to volunteer being a nurse and all. So after Erica come in Sept. I took the last step (at least I think it is the last step) and went to the clinic. The man there told me it is a good idea but it has to be okayed with the head nurse who is on vacation till Oct 20. I didn't not want to wait about 3 weeks but what you going the do… It drove me crazy thinking about it so much! Oct 20 came and I went to the clinic and was told, "well she extended till Nov 5th so come back then" COME ON!! I thought but didn't say.. So waited 2 more weeks. Come Nov 5th and they told me, "well the head nurse is not back yet and I am not sure why "maybe" next week" Pretty annoyed but by now getting used to the drill.. Next week comes and she is still not back but the man sounded more confident to say she would be back next week...Next week I come and ask, "is she back? I am told she is back but busy till next week. So we plan to meet then. Some people would be frustrated to have to wait even more but this time I was very happy to see some light at the end of the tunnel! I come Tuesday at 2pm sharp(time arranged) and the man tells me "so...we have this meeting at 2pm can you come back tomorrow..." He think I had been patent with all of this but this time I got really annoyed. I told him, " I just walked 45min to get here and called your phone to confirm(it was off) I can wait till the meeting it over is that ok"? He told me to sit and wait...Shortly after a man comes out and tells me to follow him. I thought this was weird bc I thought I was meeting with the head nurse(aka "the sister in charge") ,he could not be the sister in charge! But it turned out he was just as high up as her and was married to the head nurse and also work there. So this is what came out of the meeting. Erica has a place to stay provide by the clinic on the clinic's grounds(2 bedrooms ,bathroom, kitchen, and living room with power) The place should be pretty nice! She will be help with mother and baby services ,while also giving meds , shots to people and other thing too. They said she would have lots to freedom to work where and when in the clinic. The meeting pretty much went as well at it could. Talked to Erica that night after and the decision was pretty much made she was coming but the ticket is not booked but It will be soon. So now I think people can see why I kept this a secret at least on my end else I would got tons of "Any news?" and lots of frustrated," nope STILL no news!"

So that of course is the big new with me other than that not a whole ton going on. People are pretty busy with their crops with the rains finally here. So I have been doing little things here and there with my project. I have been writing some stories down that I figure you guys might enjoy:
1. People will wear pretty must any kind of clothes here that will fit. Them I see plenty of boys in pink and this is normal. But the other day I see this guy maybe in this 40s wearing a shirt saying, "It's nice to be a mom isn't it?" I have always wanted a shirt saying " worlds great grandpa" I think that would be awesome!
2. Go to this meeting and there is a school right by so lot of kids. They have been really getting to know me. They yell mwamidi(my taita name) when I come. One day I came and 6(maybe more..) of them come out and start feeling my goatee and my arms. I had to draw the line while one of the kids started poking me in the eye!
3. Ok this one is about the same kids on the next trip to that village. Instead of running away when I come like the 1st time they come up and shook my hand(very much in culture to shake someones hand to say hi). So I shake like 4 kids and hands and the 1st one comes for another shake. I must have shook his hand like 5 time and some of the others 2 or 3... Then my meeting starts and this kid was so cute maybe 4 years comes on completely interrupts the meeting to shake all 10 people hands in the meeting and walks out with his pants half down and his bottom coming out!
4. Some I am always amazed by the cell phone culture here. There have been many meeting I have been at and not only is the person’s cell phone leading the meeting is on but they will answer it in the middle of the meeting as they are speaking!
5. So this was a while ago I was at a funeral and this guy was teaching me to count in Kitaita. I had the numbers up to 5 and I asked him to tell me what 6 is. He tell me but it super quiet about it...I was like why are you being so quiet.(nothing in the surroundings changed) He said well it is kind of bad word. I am thinking" how is 6 a bad word…." Then it hits me he thought I asked him what sex was in Kitaita...
6. So I went the library the other day and there were only a few students because they were doing their tests for 8th grade.(but not in the library) I had some tea with the principal after organizing the books. She asked me if I was coming back tomorrow. I told her I might. She responded tell me not to come. It turns out the 8the graders are taking test to get into good high schools and Kenya to cut down on cheating has someone come up everyday (about 4 days and lot of gas) to bring the tests and collect. So only a few people allowed on the school grounds and I was not one of them.
7. I always have to remember that if I bring food to someone house it will not be shared will me... So the other day I brought tea to my neighbor’s for a thank you for helping me with some stuff. It was hard to communicate bc they only spoke Swahili. I was invited in the house and they poured 2 cups for husband and the wife and gave me 2 bananas. Soon after they pour a 3 cup I figured it was for me but I was wrong they pour it so I could have not container back. I have gone to friends houses trying to bring desert for the meal that doesn't work the desert is put away for another day...So it is American culture to bring food to someone house to have everyone to share but not in Kenya. Still trying to learn this one...

Hope you enjoyed! Miss you guys lots especially the people who read this blog like you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite part of this was the guy wearing the mom shirt. That is HILARIOUS. Do you think he understood what it said? All of these were fun to read though. It would be hard to get used to bringing food over to a house and not having it be shared. You have to bring stuff you don't like over so you don't mind not getting any! :)