Thursday, April 16, 2009
In Service Training
So sorry it has been a little bit since I have blogged. So lets see what is new… The guy from World Corps has been super helpful finding me information for helping people. He is really nice too. Been doing A LOT of walking I walked 3 hours down this hill one day to see a PC friend. Bigvia took me. I walked a good part of the way back up the next day. Last week I went to Voi for a night met up with some PCVs and we made some awesome homemade burgers! I am in Nairobi right now and will be there for a few more days. The first night I stayed at a campsite. It really wasn’t much of a campsite…other then the tents that is. The place was in the middle of the city with bushes blocking the fence so it didn’t seem like it. The tent was set up for you and it had mats too. I was even able to ask to get a blanket at night..like 10 feet from the tent was an inside area where there was power and you could watch movies! The place was owned by an American and it was his birthday that night. Now I am at my hotel for training They call it the 3rd phase of PC. We have been having different speakers and some having been very interesting. The other day I we went to a place and saw how honey was made and silk too! I am getting so spoiled here TV, POWER, good meals. And I get to see all my friends. There are 35 of us plus some PCV that have been here longer than us. I am rooming with the same guy from when I was in Philly. He is pretty down to earth. I met this Peace Corps here that is really inspiring he working with some groups and help them market clothes, backpacks, purses and wood carvings. He has some really good stories too. He shared with us how he was at the beach and tried to save a small boy for drowning but sadly was not successful…He also told us about how he met this actress, Rachel Grant(bond girl) down here and now she models his stuff! He also told us how the tourist like buying wooden penises..so he helped market that! For Easter I went to Catholic mass that was fun. They had a lot of energy like I like. The mass was pretty much the same but more singing, long homily and there was a 3 times in the mass with peace be with you/ greetings. It was all in Swahili so didn’t really understand much but in the homily the priest talked about politics and Obama. I went to palm Sunday mass as well. This was in my village where the church is pretty small like maybe 20 people. I forgot to say when I go to mass in my village the men and women sit on different sides. I have not asked why but I think I will. So Sunday I will go to see baby elephants! I guess you can feed them! I also may meet a man that did Peace Corps some years back at my site and now is lives here in Kenya. So I am excited about Sunday. When I get back I think there will be a American volunteer in Wongonyi. I hope it is fun having am American around. I also want to get the fish farmers together when I get back because there fish will be ready soon. I want to try to starting getting them to think how and where they will sell them. The guy that is kind of head of the fish project is really nice so I will be working with him on this for a few days. Also I know you all read this you hear about Africa but I can’t help it. JAY CUTLER is a bear! I have been telling Kenyans about this even though they don’t even know what American Football is(a few do)! So I looked tonight and the last qb for the bears to put up 25 td in one season (Jay did last year) was Eric Kramer in 1995(29) before him you have to go to before the 80s. I got to tired to keep looking it was painful..Grossman put up 21 td the year we went to the Superbowl was the next closest. I know what everyone (who likes football) is thinking we have no one to throw to… Who knows though maybe someone can step it up! I want to end with something about Kenyan culture…hmm….The teachers here teach only facts and really never ask there student questions. Also in the school starting in high school they teacher only in English and children get in trouble for speaking Swahili. PCV teachers are working hard to try to change this by asking students questions. One more thing lot of Kenyans have a bad sense of time and will go to meeting very late. I was at a fundraiser the other day. Showed up 2 hours late and I was one of the first there… Thanks guys miss ya lots!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, Bear.
I got a kick out of the fact that you mentioned penises in one sentence and Catholic mass in the next. Kaa poa!
Harms
Post a Comment