Monday, September 28, 2009
What up guys!
Hey friends sorry it has been forever since I have wrote a blog. I have been semi busy especially having a great time with Erica coming. Oh I also lost (long story) on phone so my new phone is 732626940 and whatever number were before the 7 before. I also don’t have an internet phone so I maybe slow on e mails(getting one soon). I had a great time with Erica and didn’t want to see her go. It was fun being a tourist for once instead of trying to convince people I am not. OH! We also almost got killed my an elephant on our safari. This is not even I joke the driver did not see it and I had to yell there was an elephant charging us. It was not like the video I posted on facebook! I guess the elephants are mad these days because there is a lack of water.(more to come on her visit) There have been 3 Lithuanians in Wongonyi volunteering the last 3 weeks. They really did a great job. There were teachering in the primary school and organizing our library. I helped with that project. The library was a mess. There were book donated of the U.S. that made no sense to be there like 1990 retail guides to cars( in dollars), book half chewed by dogs and catalogs to books that are almost impossible to find in Kenya! I found a book my brother Anthony and recommended by Dean Koonz that made me happy. I am not really much a reader but I am trying to be one… Reading one book in 10 mos. Not the best start…So there have been lot of fires lately in Wongonyi. I don’t think any homes have burned but one. They have been in the forest. SO much of it has been destroyed. I hear the reason for them is because people want to scare away monkeys that are eating their crops. I have also heard people don’t care so much if the fire burns because they are protected by the government so they don’t benefit them as much. I think my project is working on a way for this to change. I am pretty much a firefighter now. I have helped put out 2 now. This is how it works someone blows a whistle and other come and help. It is a good system but people wait too long and not enough people come and it takes even longer for a good sized group to come. Oh and it is not like firefighting in the U.S. They don’t use water. Both times I have helped we have used branches and started more fire to stop the fire (weird but it works!). Last night I was out till 11pm and with a man from my village it was him, me, a boy and a mama. The man I was will did must of the work. He probably come close to even catching fire himself a couple of times! Don’t worry I am very careful…I was pretty tired by after he invited me to his house for some food and tea. I felt bad he woke up he wife to prepare for us. My number one fan (my mom) asked in a letter about my knee so I guess I will share with all. It is doing well and I think it is getting better. For the most part it doesn’t cause me any problems useless I walk and ton and it is nothing big. I need to be doing exercises more often but the doctor said it will heal either way. Well I hope you enjoy this addition of John’s crazy adventure in Kenya! Hope all is well will everyone and love hearing from you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment